Mary and Joseph presented Jesus back to God in an act of dedication.
--Luke 2:22, 40
At Friends Church, rather than baptize babies and young children who are not yet mature enough to make a decision for Christ on their own, we hold a ceremony of dedication.
Why should a child be dedicated to the Lord?
- Parents can publicly affirm their desire to raise their child in a God-honoring way.
- The church body can commit to supporting the parents decision by loving and protecting the family.
- Jesus was dedicated by his parents, Mary and Joseph. (Luke 2:22, 40).
What is the meaning of a child dedication?
- It represents the parents desire for their child to one day know and understand the gospel so the child can make his/her own profession of faith through baptism.
Can we have godparents?
- We ask that the parents present the child to God because it is their decision to have their child raised in a God-honoring way. Friends and family are welcome to join you on the platform.
When are dedications held?
- Dedications are scheduled during a regular Sunday service.
- Family and friends are encouraged to attend this very special service to support the decision of the parents.
Who can schedule a dedication at Friends Church?
- Child dedications are reserved for children of members, regular attenders and Christ-followers who:
- Have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Desire to raise their child in a God-honoring way.
- Are faithful in their weekly church attendance.
- Are utilizing their time, talent and finances to extend Christ’s Church.
What is the commitment of the parents?
- To affirm their personal faith in Christ.
- To pray often for the physical, mental, social and spiritual welfare of their child.
- To participate in the life of the church on a regular and consistent basis.
- To model their love for God and His word in their home.
- To look and pray for teachable moments when they may present the love of Christ to their child.
- To receive the commitment of the members of the church to support the parents as they endeavor to raise their child in a way that honors God.
How do I schedule a child dedication?
- Pick up a form at Guest Services or contact us at and we will email a form to you.
- Complete the Child Dedication Form.
- Return your completed form to the Church Office, and we will contact you to arrange a time for you to meet with the Lead Pastor to discuss your desire for a child dedication.
Is there anything else?
- Parents can choose to have the officiating pastor share a biblical life verse to be read at the ceremony.
- Parents may also request specific family members be recognized at the service.
What if I have more questions?
- Contact the Church Office at (440) 944-1026 to schedule a time to meet with a pastor.
- Email us at with your questions.