At Friends Church, rather than baptize babies and young children who are not yet mature enough to make a decision for Christ on their own, we hold a ceremony of dedication.
Why should a child be dedicated to the Lord?
- Parents can publicly affirm their desire to raise their children in a God-honoring way.
- The church body can commit to supporting the parents' decision by loving and protecting the family.
- Jesus was dedicated by his parents, Mary and Joseph. (Luke 2:22, 40)
What is the meaning of child dedication?
It represents the parents' desire for their child to one day know and understand the gospel so the child can make his/her own profession of faith through baptism.
Can we have godparents?
We ask that the parents present the child to God because it is their decision to have their child raised in a God-honoring way. Friends and family are welcome to join you on the platform.
When are the dedications held?
- Dedications are scheduled during a regular Sunday service.
- Family and friends are encouraged to attend this very special service to support the decision of the parents.
Who can schedule a dedication at Friends Church?
Child dedications are reserved for children of members, regular attenders and Christ-followers who:
- Have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Desire to raise their child in a God-honoring way.
- Are faithful in their weekly church attendance.
- Are utilizing their time, talent, and finances to extend Christ’s Church.
What is the commitment of the parents?
- To affirm their personal faith in Christ.
- To pray often for the physical, mental, social, and spiritual welfare of their child.
- To participate in the life of the church on a regular and consistent basis.
- To model their love for God and His word in their home.
- To look and pray for teachable moments when they may present the love of Christ to their child.
- To receive the commitment of the members of the church to support the parents as they endeavor to raise their child in a way that honors God.
How do I schedule a child's dedication?
- Pick up a form at Guest Services or contact us at and we will email a form to you.
- Complete the child dedication form.
- Return your completed form to the church office, and we will contact you to arrange a time for you to meet with the Lead Pastor to discuss your desire for child dedication.
Is there anything else?
- Parents can choose to have the officiating pastor share a biblical life verse to be read at the ceremony.
- Parents may also request specific family members to be recognized at the service.
What if I have more questions?
- Contact the church office at (440) 944-1026 to schedule a time to meet with a pastor.
- Email us at with your questions.
"Mary and Joseph presented Jesus back to God in an act of dedication."
— Luke 2:22, 40