Willoughby Hills Friends Church is located in Willoughby Hills just East of Cleveland, Ohio. WHFC is part of the
Evangelical Friends Church Eastern Region denomination. Currently WHFC Sunday morning services are
in-person and online. Prior to Covid Sunday morning in-person services averaged 900 people. The church is
blessed with a 160,000 sq. ft. facility utilized for church ministries and a Christian based school (K4-12 grade).
Willoughby Hills Friends Church is seeking a Lead Pastor as their current Lead Pastor is retiring. The pastor shall
have a theological belief that is consistent with Wesleyan Arminian and aligned with the EFC-ER Faith & Practice.
WHFC is committed to discerning and following God’s plans, loving God with our whole heart, loving our
neighbors as ourselves, and being an Acts 2 church. We are looking for the Christ-centered individual that God
has called to lead us as we enter this next season of ministry. The Lead Pastor should have the leadership
qualities called out in Titus and 1 Timothy 3:2-7, the spiritual gifts of preaching and teaching, a heart for those that do
not know Christ, a passion for spiritual growth, a desire to make a Kingdom impact within and outside the
church, and an ability to work with the church (elders, staff, congregation) to sense and execute on God’s vision and
- 10 years ministry experience teaching, preaching, and leading.
- Theological beliefs consistent with Evangelical Friends Church Eastern Region (Wesleyan Arminian).
- Demonstrated leadership at growing successful ministries.
- Demonstrated leadership at growing and working with external partners.
- Demonstrated teaching and preaching that can speak to anyone regardless of where they are on their
spiritual journey. Ability to speak as the Holy Spirit is leading to encourage and challenge everyone.
- Strong biblical knowledge, old and new testaments, and an ability to make it relatable.
- Understand how to effectively operate within a church organization.
- Preferred Master’s degree or Seminary education.
The required characteristics came from prayerful discernment in preparation for this transition. Specific Biblical
references include Corinthians 5:14-19, Mark 12:28-31, Acts 2:38-47, and 1 Timothy 3:2-7 shown below.
Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable,
hospitable, able to teach, 3 not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4 He
must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full
respect. 5 (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?) 6 He must not be
a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. 7 He must also have a good
reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil’s trap.
– 1 Timothy 3:2-7
- A strong relationship with God through the Holy Spirit.
- A person of prayer and sensitivity to the Holy Spirit’s leading.
- Above reproach, faithful, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, not given to drunkenness,
gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.
- Ability to be God’s servant and help others accept God’s salvation and live a transformed life.
- Ability to connect with current WHF church and relate to future WHF church.
- Ability to sense God’s will for the vision for WHFC to make a kingdom impact.
- Ability to effectively work in unity with elders, staff, and congregation and as necessary restore unity.
- Possess a strong reputation within the family, church, and community to be a leader people will follow.
- A person of wisdom, emotional intelligence, servant leadership, and effective communicator.
- Strong passion demonstrated by God-inspired plans, strong work ethic, and good execution.
- Passion for establishing ministries and programs that builds a stronger and larger church family.
- Passion for being a good steward of WHFC’s resources to make the largest kingdom impact.
- Ability to be sensitive to cultural and political influences and take an appropriate Biblical stance.
- Ability to build relationships with Christians and non-Christians to make a Kingdom impact.
Please submit the following information to email@example.com
- Cover letter
- Personal statement of faith
- 3 Professional & 2 Character references
- 3 Video links of you preaching (one or more from the church where you worship)
- Statement explaining your approach for addressing hard topics with grace, wisdom and courage
- Create a 5 minute, unlisted YouTube video explaining your story (start the video with stating your name). See instructions below for uploading an unlisted YouTube video.
If you have questions about the application process, please email those to firstname.lastname@example.org
Instructions for Uploading an Unlisted YouTube Video
Step 2: Follow the on-screen instructions to sign in to your Google account, or create a new Google account by pressing “Create account”.
Step 3: After logging in, click the camera icon at the top right of the screen. In the dropdown menu, click “Upload video”.
Step 4: Follow the on-screen instructions to begin uploading your video.
Step 5: Set the video title. Scroll down and select the option “No, it’s not made for kids” under the Audience section.
Step 6: Press “NEXT” twice to reach the “Visibility” step at the top of the window. Select the option “Unlisted” under the Visibility section.
Step 7: Press “SAVE”, and then press the copy icon to copy the URL of your unlisted YouTube video. Add this URL to your application email.